Jobs & Internships
Are you interested in helping others build a better world? Would you like to bring your skills and experience to a growing nonprofit that is dedicated to boosting the capacity of nonprofits across Washington state? Does challenging and rewarding work in a supportive, flexible work environment with colleagues passionate about service sound like something you’d enjoy? Then, consider becoming a member of our team!
At 501 Commons, we strive to provide nonprofits with exceptional programs and managed services that support their organizational mission and needs so that they can go out and make a difference in our local community and the world. It takes every member of our committed staff to make this happen!
In return for our staff’s expertise and commitment, we offer a supportive, friendly and team-oriented environment as reflected in our Team Charter. Our benefits include:
• Flexible work schedule
• Ability to work remotely (dependent upon position)
• Competitive health benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance options
• 401(k) retirement plan
• Generous paid time off (PTO)
501 Commons is an equal-opportunity employer who seeks to recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and to support the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer corps with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission.
501 Commons is committed to providing an inclusive workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equal valued and supported.
To apply for any of the below openings, please email a cover letter and resume, with the position title in the subject line, to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!
Current Openings (see descriptions below)
- PT Human Resources Consultant
- Technology Program Manager
- Senior Bookkeeper
The Human Resources Consultant is responsible for providing strategic, consultative and collaborative human resources services to 501 Commons and its clients. This position serves as an internal Human Resources Partner focusing on the areas of recruitment, onboarding, benefits administration and general Human Resources administration. As a member of the Human Resources Program team, this position is assigned to client projects and interacts regularly with other Human Resources consultants.
- 5 or more years’ exempt level Human Resources Generalist experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Human Resources, or related field of study, or equivalent work experience
- Outstanding knowledge of Human Resources function, laws and practice
- Experience initiating and leading Human Resources projects
- Strong client-support orientation, and the ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization and with a wide range of clients, individually and in groups
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and facilitation skills
- Project and process management skills with demonstrated track record of delivering results
- Excellent technology skills, including but not limited to MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) and databases
- Prior volunteer or work experience in the nonprofit sector preferred
- PHR or SPHR certification preferred
- Valid WA State driver’s license with access to reliable vehicle
See full job description here.
501 Commons offers a competitive benefits package and a flexible work environment, including generous PTO and some option to work remotely, depending on the position.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Human Resources Consultant in the subject line. Applications without cover letter will not be accepted.
Utilizing technology is essential for nonprofits to actively communicate with and serve their clients. Yet unfortunately, many organizations lack the training, knowledge and support they need in order to plan for and effectively utilize technology in support of their missions. The Technology Project Manager will work with the Client Engagement Program Manager (direct supervisor), Director of
Consulting Services and Lead Technology Consultant to ensure successful delivery of several of 501 Commons technology programs, as well as administer the organization’s internal constituent database.
- Minimum 2 years’ technology project management experience in a nonprofit setting
- A basic knowledge of a broad range of technology tools such as databases, websites, Microsoft Office products, Wi-Fi, networks, routers, etc. that are typically used in a small business or nonprofit setting
- Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM (administration experience preferred)
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint; ability to work with or willingness to learn Basecamp and other collaboration tools
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Volunteer management experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and organize information, work independently and use good judgment
- Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing; excellent document preparation and proofreading skills
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Commitment to building the capacity of nonprofit organizations
See a full job description here.
To be considered for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter by December 21, 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org with Technology Project Manager in the email subject line.
This position serves as an intermediate level accountant under 501 Commons’ Financial Services program. The Senior Bookkeeper will be responsible for providing bookkeeping and intermediate accounting services to small and medium sized non-profits in the Puget Sound area as well as assisting with oversight of Bookkeepers. The Senior Bookkeeper will maintain communication with clients, assign and distribute work to Bookkeepers, and review the work of Bookkeepers prior to reporting to clients.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Evidence of the individual’s ability to be successful in this position would include the following:
• 2-3 years of bookkeeping experience, preferably with nonprofit organizations
• Expert knowledge of QuickBooks 2012 or later and Excel 2010 or later
• Experience managing and processing payroll including tax withholding and reporting
• Degree in accounting or equivalent experience
• Excellent interpersonal communications, decision making and problem solving skills
• 1-2 years leading or managing a small team
• 2+ years customer service experience
• Familiar with Microsoft Office including Outlook
• A history of stable employment, low absenteeism, and achievement in personal endeavors as well as in the workplace
See a full job description here.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Senior Bookkeeper in the subject line. Applications without cover letter will not be accepted.