Jobs & Internships
Are you interested in helping others build a better world? Would you like to bring your skills and experience to a growing nonprofit that is dedicated to boosting the capacity of nonprofits across Washington state? Does challenging and rewarding work in a supportive, flexible work environment with colleagues passionate about service sound like something you’d enjoy? Then, consider becoming a member of our team!
At 501 Commons, we strive to provide nonprofits with exceptional programs and managed services that support their organizational mission and needs so that they can go out and make a difference in our local community and the world. It takes every member of our committed staff to make this happen!
In return for our staff’s expertise and commitment, we offer a supportive, friendly and team-oriented environment as reflected in our Team Charter. Our benefits include:
• Flexible work schedule
• Ability to work remotely (dependent upon position)
• Competitive health benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance options
• 401(k) retirement plan
• Generous paid time off (PTO)
501 Commons is an equal-opportunity employer. We seek to recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and support the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer corps with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission.
501 Commons is committed to providing an inclusive workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equally valued and supported.
To apply for any of the below openings, please email a cover letter and resume, with the position title in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please. We look forward to hearing from you!
Current Openings (see descriptions below)
- Technology Services Client Engagement Manager
- Financial Services Program Manager
- Nonprofit Financial Services Bookkeeper
- Program Support Specialist
- Support Line Technician
- Financial Services Associate
The Technology Services Client Engagement Manager will work to build the capacity of nonprofit organizations to utilize technology to better meet their mission. The role of the Client Engagement Manager will be to ensure that nonprofits have access to optimal solutions to meet their organizational objectives. The Client Engagement Manager is often the first point of contact for our nonprofit clients. This position reports to the Director of Technology Services & Consulting, and is responsible for:
- Ensuring that nonprofits are matched with appropriate resources to meet their needs
- Providing superior client service from initial inquiry to project hand-off
- Serving as a primary promoter of 501 Commons resources and services, in particular technology resources and services
- Providing supervision of the Program Support Specialist (direct report)
- Prior volunteer or work experience in the nonprofit sector
- Passionate about the ability of technology to transform the nonprofit sector
- Adaptable, creative, and proactive
- Critical thinker with strong analytical skills – proven ability to identify trends, develop strategies, and implement solutions
- Self-starter who possesses exceptional time management skills and has great attention to detail; must act independently and be self-motivated to prioritize and manage projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to develop relationships quickly; well respected, trusted partner who others want to work with
- Driven to exceed customer and project goals, while contributing to a successful team
- Able to present technical subjects to diverse audiences in understandable terms
- Strong diplomacy skills; experience discussing difficult subject matter with clients
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with clients on contract and billing issues
- Demonstrated ability to perform in a fast-paced work environment and to meet deadlines
- Previous experience supervising direct report(s) a plus
- Ability to assist customers in clarifying their needs by drawing out details regarding the mission of their organization, challenges, timeline and budget
- Familiarity with nonprofit practices around fundraising, communications, program management and administration
- Ideal candidate will have familiarity with technology infrastructure concepts and practices (knowledge of network architecture, components and their purposes and best practices of data storage and security); database/application development (knowledge or awareness of the development process and an awareness of common tools and methods); and web development (knowledge or awareness of the web development process and an awareness of common tools and methods)
- Ideal candidate will have experience with a CRM system such as Salesforce.com, online collaboration tools and web content management systems
See full job description here.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with "Client Engagement Manager" in the subject line. Applications without cover letter will not be accepted.
In order to effectively serve the community, nonprofit organizations need to manage their finances in ways that inspire confidence and encourage strong decision-making. However, many of them lack the training, knowledge or support they need to do so. This is where we step in, and this is where you can help.
The Financial Services team is made up of 8 – 12 (and growing) highly skilled, passionate, and committed Bookkeepers and Financial Service Associates who care for the monthly financial tracking and reporting needs of non-profits. As a leader of our Financial Services team, the Program Manager will be responsible for supporting staff to be successful in all aspects of program delivery, thereby ensuring high quality service to our nonprofit partners.
This is a staff and client-focused role, so a passion for working with people is essential. It is also important to be able to carry a big-picture perspective regarding client organizations and their needs while providing assistance to them.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Evidence of the individual’s ability to be successful in this position would include the following:
- Minimum 5 years’ financial management experience in the nonprofit sector
- Minimum 3 years’ supervisory experience
- Ability to multi-task, making adjustments in priority as needed
- Experience with and knowledge of fund accounting, GAAP, nonprofit accounting, internal and external reporting, payroll, and full-charge bookkeeping
- Proficiency with Quickbooks
- Experience with MS Office and willingness to master 501 Commons’ technology tools and systems
- Reliable transportation - some travel within King County is expected
- Commitment to 501 Commons’ goals of equity and inclusion in all levels of the organization and skills to support growth toward those goals
See full job description here.
In order to effectively serve the community, nonprofit organizations need to manage their finances in ways that inspire confidence and encourage strong decision-making. However, many of them lack the training, knowledge or support they need to do so. This is where we step in, and this is where you can help. As a key member of our Financial Services team, the Bookkeeper will work to help nonprofits effectively maintain financial health.
This is a customer-focused role, so a passion for working with people is essential. It is also important to be able to carry a big-picture perspective regarding client organizations and their needs while providing assistance to them.
- Degree in accounting or equivalent work experience/training
- Quickbooks proficiency
- Experience in full-charge bookkeeping
- Experience in nonprofit accounting (highly desired)
- Knowledge of administrative systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology
- Basic knowledge of laws, tax codes, government regulations and agency rules including Federal, State, and other local government agencies
- Reliable transportation
See full job description here.
This Program Support Specialist position at 501 Commons provides administrative and project support to the Management Consulting and Human Resources programs, as well as manages the Shared Event Space program. They are responsible for assuring that new service inquiries from nonprofit clients are promptly and appropriately responded to and go through a defined intake process. The position also provides some executive assistance for the Director of Management Consulting, Human Resources Manager, and Management Consulting Manager. The position will report to the Director of Management Consulting & Services. This is a great opportunity for an individual looking to gain experience and further develop their career in nonprofit management, human resources, or event space management.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Experience with Salesforce – desirable
- Comfort with writing/editing for web
The Support Line Technician is responsible for helping 501 Commons clients achieve stable technology environments by providing Tier I help desk support by phone, email and remote access. This position is one of the preliminary levels of support for client desktops, printers and infrastructure. Effective listening and communication skills are essential to respond to diverse clients with urgent needs and various levels of technical understanding. As a member of the Technology Services team, this position interacts regularly with other technicians and consultants. There are opportunities for ongoing peer and self-learning in a supportive, service-oriented environment.
- Associates degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Technology, related field of study, or equivalent work experience.
- 3 or more years’ experience in local and wide area networking technologies
- Experience providing customer support over the telephone, and/or remotely
- Leadership experience in coordinating projects or activities
- Prior volunteer or work experience in the nonprofit sector preferred
- Technical Skills
- Knowledge of LAN, Wi-Fi, VPN, and Internet connectivity products (hubs, switches, routers, firewalls) and their installation, configuration, and support
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Windows client and server networking environments
- Experience with small business systems and applications, such as Microsoft server products – preferably Windows Small Business Server, but also including Windows Server and Exchange Server
- Proficiency working with and supporting Microsoft Office online services, particularly Exchange Online and SharePoint Online
- Strong working knowledge of server and client-side protection strategies against viruses, malware, and spam
- Experience working with applications and processes for managing computer workgroups, including desktop imaging and lockdown solutions
- Familiarity with nonprofit applications for fund raising, financial management, and event coordination is a plus
- MTA/MCTS, CCENT/CCNA, A+/Network+
- Great communication skills with clients and peers alike
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Support Line Technician" in the subject line. Applications without cover letter will not be accepted.
501 Commons is looking for highly motivated, talented, professional individuals for our ever growing Financial Services division. The Program Associate will be responsible for providing bookkeeping and intermediate accounting services to small and medium sized non-profits in the Puget Sound area.
Financial Services Program Manager or Senior Financial Services Associate assign individual Associates to clients, monitor Associate & Bookkeeper performance, and provide general support to Associates & Bookkeepers. All Program Associates will have regular access to an experienced CPA who can assist with challenging problems or answer difficult questions.
- Delivers bookkeeping service consistent with the particular client engagement
- Adheres to 501 Commons’ accounting and customer service standards
- Records regular transactions including payments and receipts
- Processes payroll including tax payments and reporting
- Produces basic financial statements, budgets, and other financial documents
- Reconciles accounts
- Proactively communicates potential client engagement issues or opportunities to management
- Maintains effective systems of controls to account for all receipts and expenditures of funds
- Assures compliance of client organizations with tax and reporting requirements
- Participates in client accounting projects, consulting, and clean up
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 2-3 years of bookkeeping experience, preferably with nonprofit organizations or equivalent certification
- Expert knowledge of QuickBooks 2013 or later and Excel 2010 or later preferred
- Experience processing payroll including tax withholding and reporting, preferably within QuickBooks
- At least an intermediate knowledge of accounting concepts; AA or BA degree in accounting highly desirable
See the Financial Services Association full position description.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with "Financial Services Associate" in the subject line. Applications without cover letter will not be accepted.