Jobs & Internships
Are you interested in helping others build a better world? Would you like to bring your skills and experience to a growing nonprofit that is dedicated to boosting the capacity of nonprofits across Washington state? Does challenging and rewarding work in a supportive, flexible work environment with colleagues passionate about service sound like something you’d enjoy? Then, consider becoming a member of our team!
At 501 Commons, we strive to provide nonprofits with exceptional programs and managed services that support their organizational mission and needs so that they can go out and make a difference in our local community and the world. It takes every member of our committed staff to make this happen!
In return for our staff’s expertise and commitment, we offer a supportive, friendly and team-oriented environment as reflected in our Team Charter. Our benefits include:
• Flexible work schedule
• Ability to work remotely (dependent upon position)
• Competitive health benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance options
• 401(k) retirement plan
• Generous paid time off (PTO)
501 Commons is an equal-opportunity employer. We seek to recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and support the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer corps with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission.
501 Commons is committed to providing an inclusive workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equally valued and supported.
To apply for any of the below openings, please email a cover letter and resume, with the position title in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!
Current Openings (see descriptions below)
Are you a looking for the following in your next dream job?
- The mundane
- Boring tasks
- Being around the same people every day
- Long commutes through glorious Seattle traffic
The good people at 501 Commons are looking for a full-time Financial Services Associate to immediately join their growing team. This is your chance to work with awesome nonprofits in our area who are working every day to change the world.
As a Financial Services Associate, you will have the opportunity to grow your proficiency with nonprofit accounting, receive the satisfaction of providing customer service of the highest level, expand your professional network by building relationships with diverse individuals in the community, and help solve challenges your clients never noticed.
Additionally, the position offers ample opportunity for promotion into management, tax preparation, or specializing in one particular area of accounting.
What we are looking for is someone to be:
- Part accountant
- Part customer service
- Part psychic
Are you up to facing new and exciting challenges in a culture that values quality and strives for perfection? Don’t let this opportunity pass you by.
• Engages in and demonstrates good active listening with clients, peers, volunteers, and supervisors
• Maintains and demonstrates a customer-focus consistent with 501 Commons’ values and current program strategies and guidelines
• Handles ambiguity appropriately by involving others including client(s), supervisors and peers in a manner and timing that provides the greatest benefit at the lowest cost to the client and 501 Commons
• Utilizes critical thinking skills and produces work at a high level of accuracy
• Uses good time management demonstrated by meeting or exceeding deadlines, arrives on time or early, maintains an accurate work calendar, and sufficiently anticipates task duration.
• Fosters strong professional relationships with clients, peers, and supervisors
• Self-monitors consistency, quality, communication, and has a general self-awareness
• Demonstrates problem sensitivity by recognizing and communicating to supervisor occurrences, patterns, or feelings that something may become a problem or issue.
• Effectively communicates with clients, peers, and supervisors in written and or verbal forms that is both timely, accurate, and complete.
• Consistently acts with integrity, ethics, and high moral standards
• Shows initiative in identifying opportunities to improve quality, efficiency, and effectiveness
• Demonstrates self-direction by staying organized, follows through on projects and tasks, anticipates and prepares for support from supervisors or peers, and avoids crisis-modes
• Actively learns on the job through exposure to new challenges, professional education opportunities, team training, and learning from others
• Maintains and improves technical accounting knowledge and skills by attending trainings as requested, participating in giving and receiving team training, and identifies knowledge gaps
See a full job description here.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Financial Services Associate in the subject line. Applications without cover letter will not be accepted.
This position serves as an intermediate level accountant under 501 Commons’ Financial Services program. The Senior Bookkeeper will be responsible for providing bookkeeping and intermediate accounting services to small and medium sized non-profits in the Puget Sound area as well as assisting with oversight of Bookkeepers. The Senior Bookkeeper will maintain communication with clients, assign and distribute work to Bookkeepers, and review the work of Bookkeepers prior to reporting to clients.
- 2-3 years of bookkeeping experience, preferably with nonprofit organizations
- Expert knowledge of QuickBooks 2012 or later and Excel 2010 or later
- Experience managing and processing payroll including tax withholding and reporting
- Degree in accounting or equivalent experience
- Excellent interpersonal communications, decision making and problem solving skills
- 1-2 years leading or managing a small team
- 2+ years customer service experience
- Familiar with Microsoft Office including Outlook
- A history of stable employment, low absenteeism, and achievement in personal endeavors as well as in the workplace
See a full job description here.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Senior Bookkeeper in the subject line. Applications without cover letter will not be accepted.