Human Resources Services
Nonprofits rely on dedicated staff and volunteers to accomplish their mission each day, yet 80% of nonprofits do not have a designated HR person. Of those that do, most HR managers do not have any formal training in human resources. If you have questions about HR management, you are not alone!
Treating staff fairly; following the law and regulations that govern all businesses; and providing the training, supervision, and support that all team members need to succeed are crucial elements of effective HR management. Wherever you are in the HR life cycle, 501 Commons can help.
We can provide you with an HR Partner for just the number of hours you need each month. Your partner will get to know your organization and be available to help you with recruitment and hiring, performance management, staff orientation and training, benefit decisions, and other day to day services. You get the consistency of someone who knows your organization, but pay only for the level of services you need.
501 Commons can do a Quick Consult, provide in-depth consulting on human resources issues, or conduct a workplace climate survey. We can also help you increase the impact of volunteers in your organization.
- You can get a low-cost Quick HR Consult for as little as 20 minutes of your time. A Quick Consult can give you guidance on a policy, help you develop an approach to dealing with performance problems, or provide a quick review of a job description.
- A 501 Commons HR consultant can take on longer, more detailed projects. Do you need to review compensation, restructure a department, or set up a leadership team? We can match you with an HR advisor who provides services tailored to nonprofits.
- The 501 Commons climate survey - or staff survey - was developed specifically for nonprofit organizations by Dr. Michael Horn. How committed and engaged is your staff? How does information flow in the organization? Staff turnover drives up costs and damages program effectiveness. Our climate survey provides comparative data from other nonprofits.
- We can help you take your volunteer management to the next level. Do you want to use more skilled volunteers and have them take on long-term roles in your organization? We are experts in skills-based volunteerism!
- We also offer workshops led by experts on specific HR topics. Upcoming events include Interviewing to Hire the Best on June 18 and Navigating Healthcare Reform on July 25.
How It Works
Our HR Program Manager will meet with you to determine the needs of your organization and design an approach that will be the best fit. Whether the HR Partner program, a consulting engagement, or a quick consult suits your needs best, our Program Manager can help you get the resources you need to effectively manage one of your most important resources.
With everything you need to know to manage your organization, isn't it great to be able to call in the experts when you need them? Our HR professionals can help you:
- Avoid costly problems by putting human resource policies and procedures in place
- Design jobs, set up pay levels, and manage performance more effectively
- Align your volunteer and employee human resource strategies
- Lower turnover, which disrupts services and increases costs