Help people and communities flourish by solving Tier 2 technical challenges. You will provide support by phone, email, and remote access, delivering advanced support of servers and infrastructure to clients and your team of service desk staff and field consultants.
As a member of the IT Infrastructure team, you will engage on planned projects and emergent work. The Windows Engineer position calls for a connector, with strong analysis skills, who is driven to successfully navigate advanced technology solutions. This position may use PowerShell to manage servers and services remotely.
The Windows Systems Engineer is responsible for 501 Commons’ nonprofit clients achieving stable technology environments. Since you will be responding to diverse nonprofit clients with urgent needs and various levels of technical understanding, your listening and communication skills must be well developed. You will be called on to show initiative, persistence and commitment to your team.
At the end of the day, wouldn’t you like to know that you played a role in nonprofits successfully accomplishing their missions?
Tier Two Services - (85%)
Provides Tier 2 support to ensure that scheduled and emergency issues referred by field consultants and service desk staff are resolved in a timely manner, so that 501 Commons nonprofit clients so they can achieve their missions.
- Design, install, configure, and provide maintenance of systems & networking hardware, software and components
- Implement a wide range of cloud solutions including mobile device management (MDM), Microsoft 365 migrations, Windows Virtual Desktop
- Maintains IT cloud tools including remote monitoring, cloud backup platform or password management system
- Utilizes remote management and monitoring system to effectively monitor, maintain, manage or upgrade client systems
- Logs all customer questions and problems and tracks the issues through to resolution, including timely recording of problem symptoms and status information in an effort to communicate with and properly utilize 501 Commons consulting staff
- Initiates timely escalation of customer problems when necessary by documenting the impact to the customer, assigning an appropriate priority and resolution target, and raising management awareness for business impacting issues that have exceeded reasonable or expected resolution timelines
- Works as liaison, as necessary, between the customer and their other technology providers, including Internet, email, web hosting, and third-party hardware and software
- May participate in maintenance/on-call rotation providing support for critical issues outside of normal business hours.
Professional Development, Research, and Teamwork – (15%)
Works as an engaged member of the IT Infrastructure team. Provides Tier 2 backup that advances the success of the team successful so we can amplify the strength of our nonprofit clients.
- Strives to learn new products, trends and technologies; pursues independent learning opportunities; applies and shares learning gained from experiences and training; serve as mentor to team members; and deepens understanding of the nonprofit sector’s special needs
- Actively engages in team meetings and conversations, building a cohesive team environment
- Researches and assesses new products and emerging technologies for applicability in nonprofit and small business environments
- Provides mentorship to junior staff
Combines technical skills, initiative, excellent communications skills and an orientation toward teamwork will lead to satisfaction with the work and positive results for our nonprofit clients.
- Relationship Management –Works with integrity and ethically; develops and maintains constructive relationships by communicating respect; provides prompt and attentive service; handles interruptions and distractions with composure; develops trust and credibility with clients and team.
- Communication – Conveys information clearly in verbal and written form; demonstrates active listening skills; is able to communicate with people whose technology skills are at all levels; keeps others informed; maintains a sense of humor, even during difficult circumstances
- Reliability –Takes accountability for one’s work and determines solutions if there is a risk of not keeping a commitment; remains steady under pressure, using it to fuel efforts to become more productive and efficient. Able to achieve results with minimal supervision.
- Problem Solving – Identifies core issue(s) in a timely manner; quickly generates a range of solutions and identifies, tests and implements logical solutions; resolves problems in early stages; works well in group problem solving situations; uses diagnostic tools efficiently and effectively; follows established troubleshooting procedures.
- Managing Priorities – Prioritizes and establishes an effective balance when managing periods of high workloads and competing demands; plans and utilizes time efficiently; responds to changing customer needs; completes work in order of priorities.
Preferred Education: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Technology, related field of study, or equivalent work experience.
- Five or more years’ experience in a System Administration role
- Experience providing customer support over the telephone and/or remotely
- Experience in an Active Directory or Azure Active Directory environment.
- Strong knowledge of:
- PowerShell for task automation, remote systems management, configuration, and/or data collection/reporting
- Cloud computing and mobile device management (MDM) solutions including Microsoft Azure services, Autopilot/Intune end point management and Business Voice
- Demonstrated skill in troubleshooting and resolving complex problems with Microsoft Azure, Windows Hyper-V, VMware, Domain Name Services, certificates
- On-premise migration to cloud services
- Familiarity configuring and supporting enterprise-class security devices, such as Cisco, SonicWall, Ubiquiti, and WatchGuard.
- Reliable transportation to commute to and from client locations
- Knowledge of
- System security practices, intrusion detection, auditing, and mitigation methods
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
- Azure certification
If you do not meet all of the requirements listed above but feel there are other factors you believe would qualify you to perform these job duties, please let us know.