The 501 Commons Leadership Team works together to support our Team Members, clients, service corps members, and partners:
- Sam Hampton - Director of Management Consulting and Services
- Nancy Long - Executive Director
Director of Management Consulting and Services
Sam Hampton is a seasoned executive in the nonprofit and education fields. He has held leadership and consulting roles with nonprofits, schools, and affiliated agencies in program delivery and project management for the past 25 years. Sam brings a unique perspective to his work as he is a first-generation college graduate whose career has focused on empowering underserved populations.
Sam and his wife moved to Seattle to be closer to their adult daughters, who are also residents of the Seattle area. Sam was born and raised in Rochester, New York and spent most of his adult life in the Washington, DC area.
An award-winning filmmaker, Sam co-founded Docs in Progress, an education nonprofit organization for filmmakers. He also served as founding Executive Director of a Capitol Hill technology nonprofit, Program Director for higher education initiatives at the Executive Leadership Foundation, and with the New York State Health Department. Sam holds a PhD in Urban Education from Cleveland State University, undertaking research at The Ohio State University. He has served on the Board of The Harley School, a progressive independent day school, Selection Committee of the American Film Institute's Documentary Film Festival, and Advisory Board for the Seattle Social Justice Film Festival.
Sam will always apply the positive values of diversity, equity, and inclusion to his work and interactions with others. His interdisciplinary interests also put him in a strong position to bridge conversations between individuals from diverse backgrounds. With the goal of cultivating an inclusive and diverse community in mind, Sam hopes to contribute to these conversations as the Director of Management Consulting and Services.
Fun Fact: Sam is a big auto racing fan and spent time with Michael and Mario Andretti during the Indianapolis 500.
Nancy believes in the power of community organizations to create connections between people, provide opportunities to celebrate creativity and cultural diversity, and promote health and justice in our communities. She is relentlessly optimistic about the mission of 501 Commons. In addition to her executive director role, Nancy is the senior manager supporting Community Engagement, including Washington Gives, Information and Referral Services, and the Executive Service Corps. She is also responsible for fundraising, communications and marketing and is the lead with our foundation partners.
Before becoming executive director of 501 Commons, she was focused on her passion for expanding healthcare access.
- Merged two community clinics and redeveloped the historic Neighborcare clinic in Wallingford
- As Director of Marketing & Community Services at Pacific Medical, she oversaw the uncompensated care program and partnership with the community clinics
- She led the effort to create the Cross-Cultural Health Care Program, originally a program of Pacific Medical, which has done breakthrough work on culturally and linguistically accessible health care
- Nancy joined the policy staff for the Health Services Commission, where she developed the laws governing health care quality, employers, agents/brokers, and health plans
- She became the Director of Marketing for the Basic Health Plan, which provided health insurance on a sliding fee scale
- In this role, she did ground-breaking research to promote health insurance to diverse communities and successfully implemented community-based outreach that resulted in unprecedented participation and diverse enrollment
- As the Director of Quality for the Washington State Hospital Association, she represented the hospitals on regulatory matters and worked with rural hospitals to ensure quality care
- Nancy was also the Vice President of Strategy and Organizational Development at Group Health Cooperative, helping to integrate Group Health Northwest into the Cooperative and led the organization's strategy work
Nancy became the executive director of 501 Commons in 2002 after serving as an Executive Service Corps member. During the early years of her tenure, Nancy managed all the management consulting projects, working with 400+ community-based nonprofits, including many culturally and community-specific organizations.
She is married and has two children. Nancy met her husband Frank while organizing the 50-organizations strong Survival Services Coalition. The coalition secured the first direct city funding for food banks, shelters, and health clinics. The city now spends nearly $175 million in general funds on human services.
She studied social psychology at the University of Texas and received a master's from the Evans School at the University of Washington, where she was an affiliate faculty member teaching courses on management and leadership of nonprofit organizations.
Fun Fact: When Nancy worked for Pacific Medical, she wrote the bond proposal that resulted in the addition to Pacific Tower that includes the beautiful Panoramic Center, where 501 Commons, our partners in the building, and many nonprofits enjoy the best view in the city!