Measuring Your Performance on the Five Elements Standards
- Governance & Boards
- Fundraising & Financial Management
- Communications & Relationships
- Planning, Technology, & Administration
- Management & Culture
Two ways to benefit
We recommend that a group of people, including key board members, complete the Self-Assessment. However, if only one person wants to complete it on behalf of the organization, instructions are available below.
Good: One person takes the online assessment
Better: A team of people in the organization works together to complete the self-assessment
- Each person downloads a print copy of the Self-Assessment and the instructions for participants using the link below
- Set a three-hour meeting. You may not use all of the time but your want to be able to complete the process in one session. Designate a timekeeper, a facilitator, and someone to keep track of the final scores and put them into the online Self-Assessment
- In advance of the group meeting, each person scores their responses on a paper copy, providing honest answers for the areas they know about.
- In the assessment meeting, quickly write up your scores for each standard on a white board or flip chart. Discuss any significant differences among the scores and decide on the final score you will enter into the online Self-Assessment. The discussion you have is valuable as it will help you understand different perspectives within your organization and increase the accuracy of your scores.
After your meeting, enter the agreed upon scores into the online Self-Assessment. You will receive an e-mail with links to top-level recommendations and, as an attachment, a report showing your scores for each standard, element, and overall. This results will also be displayed on bar chart that gives you a quick look at your organization's performance. Knowing where you stand points the way toward making your organization more effective and resilient.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.