The workshop was organized by Asian Counseling & Referral Services, Win/Win Network, and 501 Commons, an Alliance for Justice member. Campion Advocacy Fund sponsored the all-day training that was presented by AFJ's Bolder Advocacy.
The training emphasized that there is much a nonprofit can do to advocate effectively, while still following the rules and reporting requirements. All nonprofits - and their board members - should be engaged in advocating for their mission and the people they serve.
Check out the new edition of Alliance for Justice’s in-depth publication, The Connections: Strategies for Creating and Operating 501(c)(3)s, 501(c)(4)s, and Political Organizations and the resources below.
State Law Resources for Washington State:
- State Lobbying Registration Thresholds
- Washington Ballot Measure Advocacy Chart
- Washington Voter Registration
- Washington Lobbying Disclosure
- Washington Campaign Finance and Ballot Measure Guide
Lobbying and Advocacy 101:
- Public Charities Can Lobby
- Maximize Your Lobbying Limit: Elect to Measure Your Lobbying Using the 501(h) Expenditure Test
- Model Timesheets to Track IRS Lobbying
- IRS Lobbying Limit Calculator (web resource)
Nonpartisan Advocacy in Partisan Times:
- Election Checklist for 501(c)(3)s
- Praising and Criticizing Incumbents: How 501(c)(3)s Can Hold Elected Officials Accountable for Official Actions
Collaboration between 501(c)(3)s and 501(c)(4)s
- Practical Implications of Affiliated 501(c)(3)s and 501(c)(4)s
- Comparison of 501(c)(3)s, 501(c)(4)s, and Political 527 Organizations
On November 8 we'll be hosting a 3-hour Board Training workshop on the topic of advocacy. Board Members: Are You Ready to Stand For Your Mission? is from 9:00 a.m. to noon at Pacific Tower. Board members and executives are invited to learn about the value of board advocacy, the rules of the road, how small steps can lead to big results, and how to work effectively with policy-makers.
Sign up for the 501 Commons monthly e-newsletter Nexus to get notices of the next workshop on advocacy, as well as other training/learning opportunities offered by us and our partners.