The United States has 87,142 foundations that grant over $55 billion. Washington State is home to 1,329 independent, operating, corporate and community foundations, which award more than $3.9 billion. About 91% of those Washington funders are independent foundations that distribute nearly $3.8 billion, while 32 corporate foundations awarded about $30 million. (The Foundation Center, 2013)
Individual gifts dominate contributions, comprising about 80% of all gifts received by nonprofits. Still, while national studies cite foundation grants at only 15% of total giving, they are important sources of revenue for many nonprofits.
Helpful information can be gained from the following resources:
- The Nonprofit & Philanthropy Resource Center at the King County Library System maintains information about grant research and proposal writing and can provide technical assistance to help you navigate grant databases to find prospects.
- The Puget Sound Grantwriters Association provides .
- About.com’s nonprofit wiki is a library of useful articles and links.
- offers classes, free webinars, and online learning opportunities about grants.
- Consider these tips on great grant writing from M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust.