Are your board members putting their passions and relationships to best use? Are they standing for their mission?
"Stand for Your Mission" is a campaign designed to build awareness around the importance of board advocacy to advancing an organization's mission. Board members "stand for their mission" by being strong ambassadors to civic leaders, decision-makers, and the public at large.
- Create a list of the elected officials and agency staff who are important to your mission.
- Survey board members to ask which elected officials and agency staff they know.
- Set aside time to reflect on the importance of public policy.
- Help people get comfortable with the discussion by focusing on the past.
- Identify a public policy decision that benefited your mission (examples: more people receiving healthcare, housing or access to higher education).
- Identify a public policy decision that made it more difficult for you to accomplish your mission (a partner organization closed when they lost a grant, regulations increased your costs, or a creek was polluted).