Volunteers can be the catalyst to ensuring that community needs are met, yet many nonprofits lack the resources to adequately prepare for volunteer involvement. Join the Volunteer Management Corps (VMC) program, and utilize your professional skills to empower a nonprofit to fully harness the time and talent of much needed volunteers, by creating the nuts and bolts of an effective volunteer program.
What will I do as a Volunteer Management Corps Consultant?
- serve a minimum of 25 hours over the course of four months (June - September 2020)
- be partnered with another volunteer consultant
- facilitate an assessment of a volunteer program
- complete 2-3 projects that improve the client organization’s volunteer program
VMC consultant teams will be matched with an organization located in Washington state for the duration of the project. During the first online meeting, VMC consultants will facilitate a discussion of the client organization's volunteer program assessment and assist them in identifying their priority areas for improvement.
VMC consultants will then develop a work plan with their client organization that defines the projects, priorities, timelines, and projects the VMC consultants will complete during the program. Potential projects include:
- Developing a volunteer recruitment plan
- Creating a volunteer handbook
- Designing volunteer position descriptions
- Planning a volunteer orientation and training
- Creating a volunteer recognition plan
- Implementing volunteer recruitment, screening, and placement activities
To complete these projects, VMC consultants will need to take the time to learn about the client organization’s needs, understand volunteer management best practices, and create tools & resources for the organization based on its needs. The 501 Commons’ Volunteer Initiatives Manager will provide support and feedback throughout the program.
Is this position a good fit for you?
We are seeking professionals with nonprofit experience in the areas of volunteer management, human resources, fund development, board development, and project management. Some weekday availability is required, though the work can be completed remotely.
VMC Consultant Benefits
As a VMC consultant, you will have the opportunity to:
- Apply your nonprofit professional skills in a high-impact volunteer role
- Expand your consulting and project management skills
- Receive training on volunteer management best practices
- Access to Learn to Serve events that provide nonprofit consulting professional development
- Make an impact in your community by helping a nonprofit better support and engage volunteers in their work to advance their mission
- Engage in the community from the comfort of your own home