GiveBIG is a one-day, online crowd funding campaign to fund Washington state nonprofits that provide invaluable services to our communities.
The GiveBIG Nonprofit Advisory Council (GiveBIG Council) was created to provide a voice for nonprofits in the planning and success of the GiveBIG campaign. Council members are nonprofit leaders and professionals who advise on sponsorship, media engagement, promotional strategies, fundraising training, and the overall GiveBIG campaign. Their expertise and community connections ensure that GiveBIG is a success and continues to grow!
The role of the council is advisory. 501 Commons may not follow a recommendation of the Council when, in its judgment, doing so would be to the detriment of the campaign or the stability of the partners producing the giving day. The council will operate with full transparency and with the involvement of all members.
At 501 Commons we value inclusion. We believe our capacity to bring the community together through GiveBIG will be strongest when the GiveBIG Council represents the racial, religious, and cultural diversity of our sector and communities. Council members are selected from organizations of various sizes and missions.
Members serve voluntarily. Members’ employers will decide if participation is considered work time.
Members serve as individuals. If a member leaves the organization they are with when they apply for the council, they may continue as a council member. In order to retain membership from organizations that are of different sizes and missions, the GiveBIG Council may ask the member’s previous employer if there is another person who wishes to participate in the council.
Council Member Duties
- Work to expand nonprofit participation in GiveBIG
- Identify and engage prospective corporate sponsors, foundations, and individuals who may support the campaign
- Review and advise on strategies for increasing public participation in the campaign including media promotions, social media, publicity, and celebrity engagement
- Provide input on fundraising training services for participating organizations
- Assist in evaluation and recommend improvements in the campaign
- Represent the interests of nonprofits, including your sub-sector and nonprofit size
Council Member Benefits
- Members and their nonprofits will be featured on the GiveBIG and 501 Commons websites
- Member’s nonprofit will be given priority when selecting images and stories for the GiveBIG landing page, social media, and media partners
- Members gain experience advising a campaign that impacts 1500 nonprofits each year
- Members gain valuable insight that may be applicable to the success of their organization’s GiveBIG efforts
- Members connect, network, and learn with other social sector leaders and professionals
Commitment and Procedures
Meetings take place once a month from December to June for two hours (skipping May). The majority of council meetings will take place at Pacific Tower. There will also be occasional audio conference meeting.
Council terms are for one campaign cycle, with an option to reapply in the future. Required minimum participation is 75%, meaning attending 4 out of the 6 meetings.
To facilitate participation, regular meeting dates will be set for the campaign cycle in January with input from council members. Materials for meetings will be emailed to members at least 3 days before a meeting. Ad hoc meetings may be scheduled for time-sensitive input with at least 2 business days advance notice.
The council is a place for robust discussion so that a wide range of perspectives and ideas can be surfaced that will support the success of the campaign. Recommendations will occasionally be made through formal votes, generally following parliamentary procedures, so that 501 Commons and its partners have a clear sense of the opinion of the majority of members.
Team and Individual Projects
Council members may determine individual or team projects they wish to undertake to support the campaign.