GiveBIG Washington is a single day, online crowd funding campaign to support Washington State nonprofits that provide invaluable services to our communities.
The GiveBIG Nonprofit Advisory Council (GiveBIG Council) was created to provide a strong voice for nonprofits in the planning and success of the GiveBIG Washington campaign. Council members are nonprofit leaders and professionals who advise on sponsorship, media engagement, promotional strategies, fundraising training, and the overall GiveBIG campaign. Their expertise and community connections ensure that GiveBIG is a success and continues to grow!
- Work to expand nonprofit participation in GiveBIG Washington
- Advise on media strategy and identify media connections
- Identify and engage prospective corporate sponsors, foundations, and individuals who may support the campaign
- Review and advise on strategies for increasing public participation in the campaign including media promotions, social media, publicity, and celebrity engagement
- Provide input on fundraising training services for participating organizations
- Assist in evaluation and recommend improvements in the campaign
- Represent the interests of their sub-sector and nonprofit size
- Members and their nonprofits will be featured on the GiveBIG Washington and 501 Commons websites
- Member’s nonprofit will be given priority when selecting images and stories for the GiveBIG landing page, social media, and media partners
- Members gain valuable experience in advising on a multi-million dollar campaign that impacts 1600 nonprofits each year
- Members gain valuable insight that may be applicable to the success of their organization’s GiveBIG efforts
- Members connect, network, and learn from with other social sector leaders and professionals
At 501 Commons we value inclusion. We believe our capacity to bring the community together through GiveBIG Washington will be strongest when the GiveBIG Council represents the racial, religious, and cultural diversity of our sector and communities. Council members are selected to represent organizations of various sizes and missions.
Members serve voluntarily. Member employers will decide if participation is considered work time.
If a member leaves the organization they represent, the GiveBIG Council will review the individual’s continued participation in order to retain membership from organizations that are of different sizes and missions and to maintain a diverse council membership.
Commitment and Procedures
Meetings take place once a month from November to June for two hours. The majority of council meetings will take place at Pacific Tower. There will also be occasional audio conference meeting.
Council terms are for one campaign cycle, with an option to reapply in the future. A minimum 75% participation, which means attending 6 out of the 8 meetings, is required to continue as a member.
To facilitate participation, regular meeting dates will be set for the campaign cycle in November with input from council members. Materials for meetings will be emailed to members at least 5 days before a meeting. Ad hoc meetings may be scheduled for time-sensitive input with at least 5 business days advance notice.
The council is a place for robust discussion so that a wide range of perspectives and ideas can be surfaced that will support the success of the campaign. Recommendations will occasionally be made through formal votes, generally following parliamentary procedures, so that 501 Commons and its partners have a clear sense of the opinion of the majority of members.
The role of the council is advisory and 501 Commons may not follow a recommendation of the Council when, in its judgment, doing so would be to the detriment of the campaign or the stability of the partners producing the giving day.
Council Members may also volunteer to join committees of the Council, in which case they may meet more frequently as a small group.
Apply to the 2020 GiveBIG Council
If you think you would be a good fit for the GiveBIG Council as detailed above and are able to participate in the 2020 GiveBIG Washington campaign, you are invited to apply for the 2020 GiveBIG Council. Completed Applications are due October 3, 2019. Application review will take place in October.