You are here:

Expense Reimbursement

501 Commons does not reimburse volunteers for mileage or incidental expenses. However, IRS rules allow volunteers to deduct certain out-of-pocket expenses and mileage on their federal tax returns. For more information on these deductions, please visit the IRS website and reference Publication 526.

In some cases, project-related expenses can be billed to the client. Examples include significant print/copy jobs and travel for interim EDs. When significant project costs are foreseen, a billing provision will be included in the consulting agreement. For unexpected costs, volunteers should consult with their 501 Commons project manager.

Grant-funded projects sometimes provide for expense and travel reimbursement. Your project manager will let you know if this is the case for one of your projects. Instructions on how to claim expenses will be provided at that time.