501 Commons is Washington State's nonprofit support organization, but there are other similar organizations across the country that provide services to the social sector – including resources, online training, articles, research, and tools that are relevant for nonprofits everywhere.
BoardSource is committed to providing support that is relevant and accessible to nonprofit organizations of every size, stage, geography, and programmatic focus. They represent a broad and diverse cross-section of the social sector, working in partnership with individuals and organizations that share a belief in the power of nonprofit organizations and leaders to advance the public good.
- Visit BoardSource's Fundamental Topics of Board Service & Resource Library to find a bounty of research, toolkits, and articles on a wide range of relevant subjects.
- Read up on the latest research on areas like diversity & inclusion, advocacy, leadership demographics, measuring effectiveness, and more.
- Explore the Support for Boards that include coaching, membership programs, and a calendar of webinars and trainings.
CompassPoint helps leaders, nonprofit organizations, and movements committed to social justice realize their full power by connecting leaders with essential skills and knowledge, cultivating powerful learning communities, and creating time and space for people to explore the emotional dimensions of leadership so that we can shift ourselves, our organizations, and our world toward greater justice and equity.
- CompassPoint Publishing has produced and curated content that inspires leaders and capacity builders to develop their leadership in service of justice and equity.
- Download Tools and Resources that are sure to be a great addition to your toolbox.
The Foraker Group
The Foraker Group serves as the state association and capacity building organization for nonprofits and tribes across Alaska. They are dedicated to increasing the leadership and management skills of professionals and volunteers.
- Download these free templates for things like a board meeting agenda, communication planning process, steps to rebranding your organization, audit checklist, finance glossary of terms, code of fundraising ethics, anti-harassment policy, document retention policy, and more.
- Scroll through their blog for great insights.
- Taking a stand for your mission is crucial for every nonprofit leader. Learn your rights to engage in advocacy and how you can become a champion for change.
GlobalGiving is the largest global crowdfunding community connecting nonprofits, donors, and companies in nearly every country. They help nonprofits from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe (and hundreds of places in between) access the tools, training, and support they need to be more effective and make our world a better place.
- Get quick advice on fundraising, marketing, social media, disaster recovery, corporate social responsibility, and more.
- Download free tools – including templates, how-to guides, worksheets, and checklists – to take your organization to the next level in fundraising, management, marketing, and other critical areas.
- Not sure where to start? GlobalGiving's team has curated their favorite content.
The Idaho Nonprofit Center
Independent Sector is the only national membership organization that brings together the charitable community – a diverse set of nonprofits, foundations, and corporations – to advance the common good. The charitable sector provides millions of people with powerful, independent, and voluntary methods for addressing the issues and expressing the values most important to them.
- Subscribe to IS's two podcasts that offer a platform for leaders to discuss issues that matter to anyone advancing the common good or strengthening civil society.
- Read through Principles for Good Governance and Ethical Practice Resource Center that outlines 33 principles of sound nonprofit practices.
- Attend a training (both online and in-person around the country) on topics like marketing, online fundraising, donor retention, partnerships, equity, and more.
Momentum Nonprofit Partners
Get help with the challenges and opportunities that are unique to you and your organization. Momentum Nonprofit Partners offers an extensive selection of trainings and networking aimed at sharing knowledge, building leadership skills, and providing tools and techniques that help you respond effectively to the needs of the community and the demand for accountability.
- The Help Desk is an information and referral hub on topics like management, governance, and operations.
- Download a checklist for starting a nonprofit.
National Council of Nonprofits
The National Council of Nonprofits is a trusted resource and proven advocate for America’s charitable nonprofits. Connecting the policy dots across all levels and branches of governments, the Council of Nonprofits keeps nonprofits informed and empowered to create a positive public policy environment that best supports nonprofits in advancing their missions.
- By tracking regional and national trends and policy issues, the National Council of Nonprofits identifies how practices within the nonprofit community and at all levels of government – local, state, and federal – affect the ability of community-based nonprofits to meet their missions.
- Advocacy isn't complicated! In order to engage in Everyday Advocacy, all you need to do is care about your mission and know the rules of the road.
- Scroll through curated tools, resources, and samples for nonprofits.
For more than two decades, NEW has worked with nonprofits to craft solutions and create pathways to success. They offer expert consultation, education, support, and resources to ensure every phase of your organization’s operations is effectively geared toward achieving your mission.
- NEW's Resource Directory lists service providers, web resources, and print resources for nonprofits.
- Looking to start your own nonprofit? NEW is here to help!
Nonprofit Finance Fund
A nonprofit lender and consultant with nearly 40 years of national and hyperlocal experience, Nonprofit Finance Fund helps mission-driven organizations adapt, thrive, and drive positive change through financing, consulting, and building partnerships.
- Read insightful articles on subjects like diversity in hiring, wages, finances, and leadership.
- NFF publishes reports sharing crucial learning gleaned from their work across the social sector.
- Learn from experts whose perspectives and commentary span the entire social sector.
- Check out NFF's blog for further insights, opinions, and ideas.
Nonprofit Technology Network
NTEN is where nonprofit professionals learn about and celebrate the ways technology helps them meet their missions. More than 50,000 community members access NTEN’s capacity-building programs and services, including educational courses, the Nonprofit Technology Conference, and online and in-person discussion spaces. They are the membership organization of nonprofit technology professionals. Their members share the common goal of helping nonprofits use all aspects of technology more effectively.
- NTEN's in-depth online courses are focused, deep dives on topics important to your work, led by nonprofit experts. You will gain real-world knowledge as well as receiving valuable feedback and advice.
- NTEN’s research provides key data to help nonprofit professionals learn about best practices and make good decisions. Regular reports include technology investment and digital strategy. Also in this section are NTEN workbooks. Also, check out their blog for informative articles.
- Join an Online Group where you can ask questions, give advice, share resources, and chat about all things nonprofit technology via NTEN’s online community. Choose from groups dedicated to project management, IT, digital communications, community building, and more.
Propel Nonprofits' programs and services provide a holistic approach to meet your most pressing needs, including the ability to more closely link strategy, governance, and finance.
- Having access to a comprehensive set of tools to strengthen a nonprofit’s financial management, board governance, and strategic planning is essential to success. Propel Nonprofits’ free online resource library helps your nonprofit develop and implement effective practices.
- Attend an online training or an in-person one if you're located in Minneapolis.
- Scroll through their blog for advice, best practices, and opinions.
TechSoup equips changemakers with transformative technology solutions and skills they need to improve lives globally and locally. They do much more than offer discounts on the tools that you need, however. They are proud to work with generous donor partners to build a technology product philanthropy program that truly serves nonprofits, libraries, and foundations across the country, and around the world.
- Read articles and how-to tutorials on popular technology tools, best practices, and heads-up on discounts.
- Become an expert on a variety of tech topics by attending their webinars.
- Take a look at their list of software products you can purchase at a discount price.
For nearly 60 years, TSNE MissionWorks has been a trusted partner to hundreds of nonprofits, foundations, community groups, activists, and advocates who are making a difference in their communities, our country, and the world.
Their management and consulting services, training programs, and community-based engagement activities are designed to meet the needs of complex and growing organizations, strengthen leadership skills, facilitate learning and strategic thinking, and provide practical and operational support—all toward the goal of increasing their capacity to achieve their mission.
- Read Insights to get an idea of what they're thinking and learning about right now and the news and issues that matter to nonprofits; including collaborations and mergers, DEI, financial management, governance, HR, leadership, development, public policy and advocacy, social justice, communications, workplace culture, and more.
- TSNE MissionWorks has published several groundbreaking original research projects that have been widely reviewed and shared.