All official nonprofits in WA State are governed by state laws and regulations. Moreover, to become an "official" nonprofit, individuals (on behalf of groups) must first register the nonprofit organization with the state of WA, much like a business would.
The WA State departments below are those most involved with nonprofits. We encourage all of our state's nonprofits to stay in compliance by taking the time to familiarize themselves with and act on the information provided through these links. If you have specific questions related to what you find, please contact the relevant state agency.
Secretary of State
- Charities Program - links to relevant state laws and regulations, registration and fee information, and other helpful resources for nonprofits
- Washington Nonprofit Corporation Act
- Soliciting for charity in WA State - an overview of state law as it relates to fundraising
- Soliciting / fundraising - information regarding commercial fundraisers and more
Department of Revenue
- covers registration requirements, taxes, fundraising, donations, and more
- Business license application - a simplified form used to apply for many state licenses, registrations, and permits -- even some city licenses
Department of Labor & Industries
Department of Commerce
- Department of Commerce programs, including some that offer funding to qualifying nonprofits
Washington State Housing Finance Commission
- Nonprofit Facilities Program, which offers a financing method to help nonprofits purchase a building, land, or equipment; build or renovate facilities; or refinance existing debt
Washington Service Corps - AmeriCorps and AmeriCorps VISTA