Technology is a fast-moving train and it is often difficult to keep up with newly developed tools and changes to existing ones. If you find yourself saying “I don’t know what I don’t know,” perhaps we can help. If technology terms are hanging you up, we've even got a page dedicated to!
Check out the resources listed below to be connected to our favorite topics, tools, and studies, to ensure that your use of technology is rooted in best practices and helping to advance your mission.
Nonprofit Tech Topics
- Collaboration & Organizational Tools
- Database Planning & Management
- Free & Low Cost Tools for Nonprofits
- Online Time Tracking for Remote Employees
- Security & Privacy
- Social Media Audit
- Social Media Strategies
- Social Media Tools
- Tech Terms in Plain English
- Website Design & Implementation
Team Collaboration and File Sharing
Office 365 for Nonprofits (TechImpact) – an introduction to Microsoft’s cloud productivity suite
Microsoft Teams for Nonprofits (501 Commons)- Detailed walk-through of Teams for internal and external collaboration.
Sharing & Collaborating Using Microsoft Teams (TechImpact) – Learn how Teams brings messages, files, people, and tools together in a single app in Office 365.
Replacing Your Phone Systems with Microsoft Teams (TechImpact)– Learn about the features and benefits of using Microsoft Teams Phone System.
How to Get Free Conferencing Tools From Google and Microsoft for the Next Few Months (LifeHacker)- both companies are offering free conferencing tools for a limited time.
Sharing & Collaborating Using SharePoint (TechImpact)– In this webinar, see how SharePoint can replace your file server, shared drive, or other file storage solutions.
Cloud Storage Comparison for Nonprofits (TechImpact)- compares Office365, Box, Dropbox, and Google Drive on 15 key features with this active tool.
Box Demo (TechImpact)– This webinar will highlight the system features of Box including navigation, user permissions, office integration, and Box Drive.
Disaster Planning and Recovery (TechSoup) – Resources to ensure your organization is prepared for the next disaster.
Understanding the Videoconferencing Tools Available to Your Nonprofit (TechSoup) – Find the perfect tool for your organization.
Nonprofit Resources for quickly setting up Remote Work (TechSoup) – Tools that can be implemented relatively quickly, with little to no external IT support.
Helping businesses and schools stay connected by offering free access to advanced Hangouts Meet video-conferencing capabilities to all G Suite and G Suite for Education customers globally. Educators can also check out tips on the Google for Education blog for inspiration and ideas.
Resources for Remote Teams
Leading & Managing Remote Teams
- Remote Working: Setting Yourself and Your Teams Up for Success (Free Classes from Linkedin Learning)
- Virtual Workplaces: Technology and HR Considerations (501 Commons) Benefits of remote work options.
- Nonprofit Technology Policy Workbook (TechImpact)- a toolkit for developing policies and guidelines for use of personal devices, home computers and networks, incident response and disaster recovery.
- The Remote Option: Smart Technology for Creating Virtual Teams (Idealware) – to support a virtual team, an organization has to think differently about operations and technology. In this free article, we’ll show you what you need to know to succeed.
- Virtual Town Hall on Nonprofit Employee Remote Policy this webinar is co-hosted by Nonprofit HR and Independent Sector, including free template if you have an All-Staff Town Hall Meeting
- Shifting Hiring and Interviews to Virtual – advice for job candidates and hiring committees (via Aspen Leadership Group)
- Virtual Gala Example (Upaya)
- Example Telework Agreement (Download)
Remote Access Tools
- TechSoup: Working from Home Resources for Nonprofits
- Tips for Working Remotely During COVID-19
- Virtual Conference/Meeting Software Comparison (via GivingTuesday)
- Facilitating online meetings
- Tech tools for adapting to virtual operations *webinar: TechImpact, 501 Commons
- A Guide to Remote Working for Nonprofits (via Wild Apricot)
- Show & Tell: Remote Work Tips for Collaboration and Generosity (via Edith Asibey & Jamie Lonie)
- FREE ebook: What You Need to Know about Hosting Effective Virtual Meetings (via Boardable)
- Bloomerang: Covid-19 and Remote work resources for nonprofits (via Casey Engels) Lots of free webinars on different topics.
- Why All Those ‘Working From Home’ Tips Are Not Working 6 Tips for Managing a Remote Workforce (via sgENGAGE/Blackbaud)
- Nonprofit Guidelines for Cybersecuity and Privacy (TechImpact) – a guide to cybersecurity and cloud solutions from Microsoft.