501 Commons has compiled a list of best practices in volunteer management to help you engage the people who serve your mission. You will also find other important materials such as sample volunteer handbooks, job descriptions, surveys, training manuals, flow charts, and information to help you assess your needs.
Volunteer Management During COVID-19
Need help creating or managing virtual volunteer opportunities?
- Take advantage of free online training on how to develop a skills-based volunteer program
- Capacity Commons offers this Pro Bono Guidebook as well
- Jayne Cravens, co-author of The Last Virtual Volunteering Guidebook, has Examples of Virtual Volunteering Activities
- More ideas can be found on the Good Deeds Day blog: Coronavirus Epidemic: Join the Vast Community of Virtual Volunteering or ENERG!ZE's: Supporting Volunteer Efforts During Coronavirus
- WA Nonprofits offers this Liability Form
Volunteer Management Workshops
501 Commons hosts a variety of workshops, via a partnership with United Way of King County, that are designed to help you improve your volunteer management practices. Please join us for an upcoming session:
Engaging, Equipping and Retaining Volunteers, the Series: December 6, 8, 13: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Volunteer Management Assistance
Revitalize your volunteer program with Volunteer Navigator! Participating organizations receive one-on-one expert level coaching, an assessment of your volunteer program, personalized recommendations, and hands-on consulting to realize tangible improvements.
Do you have a specific project you need help with now? Free consulting is available thanks to Serve WA. Contact Jan Burrell to schedule an initial discussion today!
For more information on successful volunteer programs check out:
- A webinar on The Basics to Building a Strong Volunteer Program, presented by Washington Nonprofits
- VolunteerPro's The Essential Guide to Managing Volunteers at Your Nonprofit
Have any questions?
Do you have a question related to effectively engaging volunteers that you cannot find an answer to? Or a great resource you think we should include in this guide? Please send us your feedback! We would love to hear from you.