Sometimes what you need is a consultation about a challenging situation you’re facing at the moment. Consulting projects typically last one to three months, based on the engagement. Depending on your needs, consultants will be drawn from our financial services staff or experts who are members of our Executive Service Corps program, or a combination of both. If service corps members are used, project fees are determined on a sliding scale based on your budget size.
Common Project Topics
Consulting projects can address almost any finance and accounting need, but they most commonly involve topics such as:
- Internal controls assessment and advising
- Financial policies and procedures
- A review of your books and recommendations for improvements to financial reporting
- Financial training for your board or staff members
- Budget process guidance and support
- Setting up or making improvements to the structure of your books
- Identifying and suggesting general improvements, including tracking of restricted funds
How it Works
501 Commons has a mix of bookkeepers, accountants and CPAs who are available to meet your needs affordably. Because we work with more than 100 organizations on an ongoing basis, we have a good understanding of practical considerations that impact effective process improvements and implementation of changes.
As a nonprofit ourselves, we understand the challenges of providing meaningful financial information to boards, funders, and donors, balanced with the need to be cost-effective, yet rigorous, in maintaining the integrity of your financial processes.