Washington State's largest single giving day returns on May 6, 2020.
GiveBIG is back with a new look, new features, and a new website! Say hello to GiveBIG Washington.
GiveBIG returns as GiveBIG Washington in 2020. GiveBIG 2019, which culminated on May 8, 2019, raised $11.4 million from online donations, company matching gifts, donor matching funds, sponsors, and in-kind donations. Almost 1,500 nonprofits creating hope, health, and happiness in communities across Washington benefited from GiveBIG. In 2020, the giving will continue and grow!
When we give, we make a conscious step towards creating the society we want to live in. A society where people, families, and communities flourish! GiveBIG Washington is a day where individuals and organizations come together and make an investment in the communities we want to live in through supporting Washington-based nonprofits.
Donors hear about GiveBIG Washington through nonprofits, individuals raising money peer-to-peer for causes they care about, and a public campaign that reached 18 million people. See GiveBIG 2019 By The Numbers below to get a sense of what to expect in 2020.
Thanks to our Sponsors and Partners!
The GiveBIG campaign was funded by nonprofit registration fees and by our generous financial sponsors and media partners. The online platform provided by CiviCore is supported by a $1.7% donation fee. This year 82% of donors generously opted to cover the platform and credit card processing fees, making the fees paid by nonprofits less than 1%.
The media campaign was developed and managed by our partner Encore Media Group. The Ostara Group provided fundraising training to nonprofits and a bi-weekly e-newsletter outlining the steps to a successful campaign. 300 people attended workshops and 600+ participated in or watched our webinar trainings.
We also want to thank the GiveBIG Nonprofit Advisory Council for providing a strong voice for nonprofits in the planning and success of the 2019 GiveBIG campaign. Council members championed the day of giving, raising awareness of GiveBIG within the nonprofit community. The Council advised 501 Commons and its partners in areas such as media engagement, promotional strategies, sponsorship, fundraising training, recommending improvements to the GiveBIG campaign, and more.
Here are the members of the 2019 GiveBIG Council:
- Kirk Laughlin of Academy for Precision Learning
- Megan Clark of ANEW
- Sally Brunette of Book-It Repertory Theatre
- Susie Beresford of Early Life Speech & Language
- Eric Thom of Food Lifeline
- Andrea Larson of Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Anne Baunach of Highline Schools Foundation
- Teri Yoder of March of Dimes, Washington State
- Amy Ferguson of Feral Cat Project
- Angela Beard of Sanford Institute of Philanthropy at City University of Seattle
- Claire Catania of Seattle Audubon
- Scott Chin of Seattle's Union Gospel Mission
- Claire Petersky of Wallingford Community Senior Center
Visit the GiveBIG website for more information about GiveBIG 2019.
GiveBIG Washington will be on Wednesday, May 6, 2020 from midnight to midnight. We are partnering with Encore Media Group, a local marketing service provider, and CiviCore, the online giving platform, to implement another successful campaign in 2020. Click the button below to sign up for timely GiveBIG updates and information about fundraising training that will help you make the most of GiveBIG.
Mark Your Calendars to Participate in 2020
Make plans this fall to make the most out of GiveBIG Washington 2020. Online giving makes finding and supporting the work of nonprofits easy. On the GiveBIG giving platform, a donor can learn about nonprofits that are working on causes they care about. The donor can make multiple gifts and checkout with one easy process.
GiveBIG can be a powerful tool to help nonprofits identify new donors. Over the last three years, more than 20% of the donations received were from first-time donors. We can increase that number by broadening the reach of the overall promotional campaign and by engaging people who are passionate about the work nonprofits are doing to reach out to first-time givers.
How donors were inspired to give
Donors were prompted to visit GiveBIG2019.org by:
- The $500,000 media campaign promoting the giving day throughout the Seattle media market (17 counties). Millions of Washington residents saw a bus sign, heard a conversation about GiveBIG on the radio, saw an ad on TV, learned of the event while at a Sounders game, or through many other sources.
- Social media posts on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Nonprofits generate awareness through letters, postcards, websites, social media posts, and emails to their donors and prospective donors.
- For the first time, companies were able to host campaigns to activate their employees to give.
- At the individual level, several people started their own personal fundraising page and used their social channels to urge their friends, family, co-workers, and neighbors to give to their favorite charity. Powerful stories about how organizations are making life better for us all were told to people who may have never heard of them before.
With all of this promotional activity casting a big net, 22,000 people were inspired to make a contribution to their community.
Telling donors about your mission and impact
How can your nonprofit ensure that donors find out about your mission and impact? To be successful during GiveBIG, you have to prime the pump by designing and implementing a successful promotional campaign for your organization.
The platform will only work for you if you are communicating with lots of people and building their enthusiasm for supporting your organization during the months ahead of May 6, 2020. The funds you raise are like a boomerang. You have to loudly and proudly put out your message before GiveBIG and let the donations boomerang back to you on giving day.
501 Commons expanded training and support to nonprofits so that they could encourage their supporters to create effective peer-to-peer campaigns, use GiveBIG to identify new donors, and leverage matching funds to increase donations. We will be sponsoring more learning events both ahead of #GivingTuesday/year-end giving period and leading up to GiveBIG Washington 2020.
Not a fundraising expert? Our Fundraising Accelerator newsletter delivers to your inbox every two weeks actionable next-steps and links to resources and tools to keep you moving forward in your preparations for GiveBIG.