Nonprofits rely on dedicated staff and volunteers to accomplish their mission each day. Yet, 80% of nonprofits do not have a designated HR person. Of those that do, most HR managers do not have any formal training in human resources. If you have questions about HR management, you are not alone!
Treating staff fairly, following laws and regulations that govern all businesses, and providing the training, supervision, and support that team members need to succeed are crucial elements of effective HR management. Wherever you are in the HR life cycle, 501 Commons can help.
We can provide you with an HR Partner for just the number of hours you need each month. Your partner will get to know your organization and be available to help with recruitment and hiring, performance management, staff orientation and training, benefit decisions, and other day-to-day needs. You get the consistency of a person who knows you, but pay only for the level of services you need.
Read this Nonprofit Quarterly article about the benefits of nonprofits outsourcing HR.
HR Tune Up
This action-learning program provides only Walla Walla Valley nonprofits with up to 8 hours of consulting support from a volunteer HR professional who will give you a comprehensive review of your current human resources policies, procedures, documentation, and systems. Participants will come away with a report of findings and recommendations and assistance to implement two quick fixes.
501 Commons can do a quick consultation, provide in-depth consulting on HR issues, or conduct a workplace climate survey. We can also help you increase the impact of volunteers in your organization.
- HR Quick Consult. Get professional guidance on a policy, tool, or form; strategies for dealing with performance issues; a review of a job description, or some other need for only $25 per 15-minute increment. Just email your query to firstname.lastname@example.org and our HR consultant will respond promptly.
- A 501 Commons HR consultant can take on longer, more detailed projects. For example, do you need to review compensation, restructure a department, or set up a leadership team? We can match you with an HR advisor who provides services tailored to nonprofits.
- 501 Commons' climate survey – or staff survey – was developed specifically for nonprofit organizations by Dr. Michael Horn. How committed and engaged is your staff? How does information flow in the organization? Staff turnover drives up costs and damages program effectiveness. So use our climate survey to compare your results with other nonprofits and identify areas for improvement to maintain a strong team.
- All the legal requirements and risks faces by businesses apply to nonprofits too! We can help you avoid violating labor laws and opening themselves up to fines and lawsuits. For example, we can help you implement the new overtime rules, making sure that you are complying with the law in how you designate exempt staff.
- We can help you take your volunteer management to the next level. Do you want to engage more volunteers or use more skilled volunteers? We are experts in skills-based volunteerism!
How It Works
Our HR Program Manager will meet with you to determine the needs of your organization and design an approach that will be the best fit. Whether the HR Partner program, a consulting engagement, or a quick consult suits your needs, our Program Manager can help you get the resources you need to effectively manage one of your most important resources.
In person services are available in the Seattle Metropolitan area. Virtual services, aided by video and telephone conferencing, can be provided successfully to nonprofits in other areas within the US. For more information or to request services, complete our Request for Assistance form.
With everything you need to know to manage your organization, isn't it great to be able to call in the experts when you need them? Our HR professionals can help you:
- Avoid costly problems by putting human resource policies and procedures in place
- Design jobs, set up pay levels, and manage performance more effectively
- Align your volunteer and employee human resource strategies
- Lower turnover, which disrupts services and increases costs